Wednesday 23 February 2011

Delivering Evan, a Fish Named Peter and Jesus

You really need to pay attention.  apparently when starting a film about God, things start to happen pretty quickly.  I'm a bit overwhelmed by the response both from a growing audience of people that are more interested than I thought as well as from whatever mysterious happenings occur when you set out to make a film about God.  Its like I pressed a button and said "i want to know what God is" and God pressed a button that said "are you sure you are ready?"

You know those people that say all you have to do is pray?  Well I'm already seeing direct results.


Producer Evan Bellam

I should probably go back a bit.  this is Evan Bellam.  The night before I met Evan, I had this dream about a fish who kept jumping out of water and spoke to me and said his name was Peter.  Seemed ridiculous until someone on Facebook told me that Peter was the disciple of Jesus that gave Jesus a fish. I never knew that.  Jews don't learn about Jesus.  Then I thought about the dream further - fish - wait a sec isnt that the symbol for Jesus?  and fish out of water... thats me right?  Ok maybe I'm just making huge leaps (no pun intended) but you gotta admit its pretty amazing.

 Anyway, could just be a dream about a talking fish but that very day Evan comes in to the office (I met his mom) and tells me he wants to produce a film and I show him this project.  Within hours, Evan is on the phone to some of the top faith dealers in North America to see if we can get some time with them: for what - we do not know yet, but as things are speedily advancing, we are letting "God" lead the way.  Its kinda like making a doc without any real focus but letting "Faith" tell us what is next.
All I know is Evan and I were supposed to meet.


Billie and Evan

The whole idea of this film started when my neighbors moved next door.  They are from the Korean Christian community and are very open about their beliefs in Jesus.  I was fascinated by their faith and began to question my own.  I will get into this more but what came out of our differences the most was that I learned that though I thought I had faith, in contrast to them, mine was undefined. That was what kick started this whole experience: My neighbours moving in.  Was that providence?  To make a long story short, through this connection I ended up making these films for her company:



While interviewing Sunni I really began to question my own beliefs.  Was I just floating by in life with no real connection like he spoke of?  Was his connection real?  I began to really question all of this and thats what i am doing here.

This week I have quite the adventure ahead of me.  I am excited to share.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Billie,

    St. Peter the Apostle, along with Sts. James & John, the sons of Zebedee & Salome, WERE fishermen.

    Christ Chose St. Peter to be His Chief Apostle, because St. Peter(whose name was originally Simon)was the first to identify Him as the Messiah.

    The Popes can be traced all the way back to St. Peter the Apostle.

    -Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats pretty interesting cause I am doing a film about fishermen for Sobey's

    ReplyDelete
  3. But when Peter identified Jesus as the Son of God and Jesus replied,"Upon this rock I will build my Church," Jesus was not referring to Peter (despite the stone, small rock definition of the Greek name, Petros). Rather, he was referring to the truth of which Peter spoke. A major tripping point and division in Christian theology. One definition placed the importance on Jesus being the Son of God and intercessor on our behalf to God. The other placed the importance on a man who was to become the first Pope and our intercessor to Jesus and God.

    Good for you Billie. Be honest and truthful in your search and film making and I'm sure your trip will be very rewarding. Much needed these days as religion has become the No.1 hot spot for grace and violence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Peter Holmes: No!!! Christ NAMED Simon PETER, meaning "ROCK," because St. Peter identified Him as the Christ!!!

    The Popes are traced all the way back to St. Peter. If you read the first few chapters of the Acts of the Apostles, you will notice that St. Peter is the chief Apostle.

    You should read the Writings of the Early Church Fathers.

    -Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Billie:

    Cool, so maybe as a bit of trivia for your upcoming film, you could mention that 3 of the Lord's Apostles were fishermen. ;-)

    -Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christian faith is based on the rock of Jesus being the Son of God. In fact, Jesus said that he is "the chief cornerstone." Faith is not built on Peter, however good an apostle he was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very powerful! I love the way you process your ideas. You are such an interesting man. You pick such intriguing subjects that I can't look away from. Faith is so personal yet so wide spread. Passion for what you do is what drives us to where we are meant to be...I think the path you are on it exactly where you are meant to be.
    Thoughts are swirling! :)

    ReplyDelete