Wednesday 23 February 2011

Will the Real Messiah Please Stand Up?



If there is one thing all Jews agree on: it’s the messiah has yet to come.  Ask any Jew what they think about Jesus being the son of God and they will tell you without flinching it’s simply not the case.  You don't believe me? - go ask one: If you know a Jew.  I'll tell you from firsthand experience, when I grew up, I was told that Jesus was not the son of God.  We were not told that he did not exist, we were just assured that not only was Jesus not the messiah, but we were still expecting it.

Judaism is a messianic religion; meaning the religion is based around the fact that God is going to send a messiah to “save us”  This is something I forget because we have heard so much about Jesus being the messiah that we forget, AS Jews, we are still waiting.  Its not something I thought about growing up.  The world was great the way it was – who needed saving?  That was when I was a kid.  As an adult – I see a world in need of saving (mostly from problems stemming from religion…ironic?)

If you ask the religious Jews, they are definitely still waiting for a Messiah.  The Hasidic think he is coming any minute now.  The rest of us Jew”ish” people kinda forgot we were waiting for a messiah and probably don’t even care – because we are all wrapped up with our own problems.  For many of us, BEING Jewish is more of a historical affiliation (like being a member of a country club) and something to experience spirituality through traditional means.  Like having Shabbat dinners, going to temple during the holidays, fasting on the new year, and having a Passover Seder is about as Jewish as most Jews I know get these days and myself, I don’t really do any of the above.

So does that make me Jewish even?  Most Jews I know aren’t religious.  Did we forget that the Messiah was coming? 

The whole idea of the Messiah is that the world is pretty shit and silent God is gonna come down and save us from the shit and make everything better.  Ok – that sounds great.  What is he waiting for?

So the Christians believe that the Messiah came.. saw something bad, didn’t do much about it (because we are still suffering) and now he is… coming back?  That’s the second coming but my question is – why didn’t he just come once?  Why did he have to come back?  (any Christians out there can explain this?)

From where I sit I see, Historically you have a Nation of Jews waiting for the Messiah and maybe some of them got tired of waiting and accepted that Jesus was the messiah but since he didn’t fix anything they changed the story to say “no wait he is coming back” to accommodate for the lack of results on his first visit. regardless, that story grew and is now a religion of over 2.3 Billion people who all believe that jesus is for real.  Considering there is only 20 million(ish) Jews out there - Its kinda funny that we Jews stick to our story so hard.  Most Jews I know don't even care about the messiah, yet they are positive Jesus isn't it.  Regardless of yyour take on it,  Now we have two peoples (Jews and Christians) waiting for the messiah FROM THE SAME God - but different stories entirely.

You can see where I get confused and lack a bit of faith in all of this.

All I know, regardless of the story and who is the messiah or who isn’t – we live in a world that needs saving.  We need God – at least the idea of God.  Everyone needs to stop arguing (and killing eachother) over what story is right and get down on our hands and knees and start praying – together.

More about praying later…

3 comments:

  1. Hi Billie,

    "(any Christians out there can explain this?)"

    We believe that when the Lord Jesus Came the first time, He Came to Be Our Merciful Saviour. That is, He Came to Die a Horrific Death, in order to Save humanity from our sinful nature, and to Rise again, in order to Destroy the chains of death.

    We believe that the Lord Jesus is Going to Return at the end of time, to Be Our Just Judge: that is, Bring the Righteous Home to God the Father, and Condemn the Evil to Hell for all eternity.

    On another note, that I find very interesting(& since you are studying faith right now, I'm quite certain you will find interesting to learn too), is that all religions in the world are waiting for a Messiah-figure:

    As you already noted, the Jewish people are expecting the First Coming of the Messiah; Christians await the Second Coming; Muslims await the Great Mahdi(they also await the Second-Coming Of Christ too, btw); Buddhists await another Buddha, known as Meitreya(sp.); Hindus await another avatar of Vishnu; Baha'is await a future one; Taoists & Confucianists also await a promised one; Zoroastrians await a Messiah too. The list goes on.

    Interesting, isn't it?

    -Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billie: Rabbi Robert Levine wrote the book "There Is No Messiah and You're It" a few years ago. I recommend it. He writes: "For the Hebrew God, human beings had the power to help God save the world, to effect justice, to make weighty decisions - even to enter covenants. Each of us, then, is God's masterpiece."

    For Jews, the idea is that human beings, in partnership with God, engage in Tikkun Olam (repairing the world). Created B'tzelem Elohim (in the image of God), we are commanded to be holy because God is holy. Our actions - daily, with family, friends, within and without our community - can have lasting change in our lifetime and for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently met a Jewish guy and asked him if he had any tattoos, (sounds like I am going to tell a joke doesn't it!) he said he wasn't allowed which intrigued me to find out why. I assumed it was because of religious beliefs which lead me to google Judaism 101 to find out more about a religion that has never affected me until now.
    I am not religious but consider myself spiritual. I find religion interesting although it is a main cause of turmoil in the world.

    I take what feels right to me from different religions and keep an open mind to all of them. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you is the basics of any religions I think.

    I know this is not something you can google and get the entire picture in an hour but I briefed myself a little. What I liked most about what one site I found said was that Jews believe actions speak louder than words. Ones actions are more important than ones beliefs. I liked that. I also found Kosher sex a great read as well! :)
    I am really enjoying your blog Billie! Thanks for sharing, great timing for me! We all meet for a reason is my belief, to help, guide or inspire! You are doing all of those! :)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete